Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How a devastating story begins.....

June 16.
It was early in the morning and I had just got back from a camping trip the night before when my cell phone rang. Hearing my mother's shaky voice, I knew something was terribly wrong. She struggled out a sentence that took me by surprise. "Melissa had her baby last night,and it doesn't look good." After mom told me a quick version of what happened, I hurried up to the hospital to see my sister and beautiful baby Wyatt.

I entered her room and there sat my sister on her hospital bed, tears running down her cheeks, holding tight a rosier Mom gave her. I ran over and gave her a huge hug. When she had finished telling me what had happened we went to see baby Wyatt. Once we were in the neo- natal unit and finish scrubbing our hands really well, (3 minutes!) we went over to where he was laying in a incubator. A breathing tube was in him, connected to monitors reading numbers that went up one minute then down the next. He was laying so still with his eyes shut tight. No one was allowed to even touch him; it could disturb him and that was extremely dangerous. It was just horrible seeing him like that. I had to fight back my tears so i wouldn't upset my sister. It was such a awful feeling of helplessness, as if there was nothing anyone could do except wait. It was in Gods hands.



So, I prayed. And prayed and prayed. I even heard from a friend that our priest asked the people attending church to pray for baby Wyatt. And let me tell you, I do believe in the power of Prayer. After a bit, he started to slowly improve dispite the odds against him.


November the fifth.
It's so warm outside. Just heard baby Wyatt start to cry. I walked down to his room and pick him up from his crib and hold him tight in my arms. As he looks at me with his bright blue eyes, he stops crying and makes a smile. "I love you baby Wyatt," I say to him as I lean forward and kiss his forehead. Surprisingly, he grabs very hard onto pieces of my dangling hair! I laughed...and yes it hurt. lol.


Looking back at the moment he was in the hospital, it feels like it was a terrible nightmare. I am very glad that part is over. My beautiful little nephew still has a very long, hard way to go yet, but looking into his gentle blue eyes I feel inside me that he is going to be alright. One thing I can say to others, "if a situation where a love one is ill and it doesn't look good...Pray. Pray and don't ever give up believing".

1 comment:

prozac pphn said...

If your baby suffered a birth defect and you took Prozac® during pregnancy, you should consider consulting a birth injury lawyer. Some antidepressants may increase the risk of birth defects in children whose mothers take the medication while pregnant. For more information, contact our Prozac® birth injury attorneys.